What is the Bujinkan?
What is the Buyῡ?
The Bujinkan or “Divine Warrior House” is an international training association headed by Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi and is based in Chiba Prefecture, Japan. Dr. Hatsumi is the 34th Grandmaster head of nine koryu or feudal-era traditions passed on to him by his teacher, Toshitsugu Takamatsu – the last combat Ninja of the 20th Century. The Bujinkan is composed of the following nine warrior schools:
|School ||Translation ||Art |
|Togakure Ryu ||Hidden Door ||Ninjutsu |
|Gyokko Ryu ||Pearl Tiger ||Koshijutsu |
|Kukishinden Ryu ||Nine Demons Divine Transmission ||Dakentaijutsu |
|Shinden Fudo Ryu ||Divine Transmission of Immovability ||Hikenjutsu |
|Gyokushin Ryu ||Pearl Heart ||Ninjutsu |
|Koto Ryu ||Tiger Knockdown ||Koppojutsu |
|Takagi Yoshin Ryu ||Tall Tree Willow Heart ||Jutaijutsu |
|Gikan Ryu ||Clear Truth & Justice ||Koppojutsu |
|Kumogakure Ryu ||Hidden Cloud ||Ninjutsu |
Masaaki Hatsumi graduated from Meiji University in Tokyo, with a major in theater studies, and osteopathic medicine. Soon after graduation he opened a bone clinic in his home town and his practice continued on a steady basis until about 1990 when his travel and movie schedule seemed to take all his time.
Grandmaster Hatsumi is the author of over a dozen books and more than 50 videos on the martial traditions of the Bujinkan Dojo. He has been featured in almost every magazine relating to the subject in Japan, and many others throughout the world. He has authored countless magazine and newspaper articles on the martial arts, ninjutsu ,and on “how to live a natural life.” He wrote, directed and acted in50 episodes of the Japanese television series "Jiraya." He acts as a consultant for various plays and movies to ensure that what is being portrayed is done correctly and with historical accuracy.
Dr. Hatsumi’s home displays an elaborate collection of awards, certificates, letters of friendship, and honorary titles from some of the most elite organizations in the world. Some of them have been listed below:
- Title of Knighthood by the German National Historical Culture Federation, at Frankfurt.
- Received the Papal Award, an Apostolic blessing from the Vatican, on behalf of Pope John-Paul II.
- Honorary Doctorate degrees in Human Sciences and Philosophy from the U.S.
- Honorary member of Texas Rangers.
- Honorary member of Arizona Rangers.
- Received the Cross Medal and Sun Medal from Juan Carlos King of Spain.
- Honorary award from the Spanish Secretary of State for the Intelligence Agency.
- Received an honorary Doctorate from the Manchester School of Osteopathy.
- Awarded the title Todo Hanshi (Master teacher of the way of the sword) on February 11th by Nakazawa Toshi, President of Zen Nippon Todo Renmei (Japan Sword Federation).
- Received an award from London Metropolitan Police Headquarters.
- Received an award from the City of Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Voted by U.S. “Blackbelt” Magazine 1986 Instructor of the Year.
- Received Letters of thanks from Prince Charles’s secretary.
- Certificate of Friendship from President Mitterand of France.
- Letters of appreciation from US Presidents: Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and Bill Clinton.
- F.B.I. Federal Bureau of Investigation Certificate of Friendship
- Pentagon America National Department of Defense Certificate of Friendship
- Received the Shakai Bunka Korosho “Contribution Prize for Society and Culture” and Kokusai Bunka Eiyosho “International Cultural Honour Prize” awarded by Nihon Bunka Shinkokai “Japan Culture Promoting Association, signed by the Emperor of Japan.
- Received the Sekai Bunka Taisho “World Cultural Grand Prize” award in the division of Martial Arts, issued by the Sekai Heiwa Bunka Rengo “World Peace and Culture Federation”.
- Honorary Citizen of the state of Texas & cities of Los Angeles, California, Atlanta, Georgia, Dublin, Jordan Valley, Burton Village, and New Mexico.
- S.A.S. England Special Forces Certificate of Friendship
- Royal Marines (England Navy) Certificate of Friendship
In Japan, Dr. Hatsumi is also sought out as a speaker and television personality. He is past Chairman of the International Division of the Japan Literary Artist’s Club. He is also an accomplished musician and singer, playing guitar and ukulele for several yearsin a Hawaiian band.
Masaaki Hatsumi currently teaches3 times per week at The "Honbu Dojo" (Main training hall known as ‘Bujinden’ or Divine Palace) in Noda City, Japan. He is married to wife, Mariko, a famous Japanese dance teacher. He may be contacted through www.bujinkan.com.
Our particular Bujinkan group is called the Buyῡ, or "warrior friends," and was originally created byJ ack Hoban and Mark Hodel. The goal of the Buyῡ Dojo is to provide an intensive and complete training experience while keeping each lesson effective, safe and fun. Our non-competitive training methodology is based upon budo taijutsu and the use of both classical, modern and everyday objects as weapons for defense of self and others.
Budo Taijutsu relies on proper body alignment, positioning, and use of maneuver and tactics rather than upper-body strength, performance and speed; as a result, individuals of all body sizes can benefit. Perceiving and controlling the tactical space between yourself and the opponent is critical to mastery.
The training covers kicking, punching, grappling / throwing, and weapons handling, but especially, ancient ninjutsu and koryu tactics, as well as, modern combatives strategies.
Although not strictly a part of the Japanese heritage of our martial art, a key component of our training is the incorporation of "warrior ethics," and the dual-life (protection of self and others) value system based on the ideals of the late Robert L. Humphrey, noted conflict resolution specialist, and author of "Values For A New Millennium." This value system helps students identify and evaluate “real” threats, thereby, assisting in the appropriate action.
We develop respect, discipline, life-long values, coordination, agility and confidence. We offer kid’s and adult’s classes. For more information, please visit: www.winjutsu.com and www.livingvalues.com
By Robert L. Humphrey (1923 - 1997)
Wherever I go, everyone is a little safer.
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
When I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
"It's a better life"
- Professor Humphrey was a Marine Rifle Platoon Leader on Iwo Jima;
he received an Honorary 10th Dan Bujinkan from Soke Masaaki Hatsumi.